Authentic Hermes Jacquard Silk Scarf La Comédie Italienne RARE
A rare and stunning vintage jacquard silk scarf - La Comédie Italienne - designed by popular artist, and favorite Hermès designer, Philippe Ledoux. First issue dates back to 1962.
This carre depicts the Italian form of theater known as Commedia dell'arte which began in the 16th century and featured plays based on improvisation rather than full scripts. Plays were performed on temporary outdoor stages with actors wearing masks. There were three main characters, the servant, the master, and the lovers and its main theme dealt with love, jealousy, adultery and old age. These plays have produced well known characters such as Scaramouche and Harlequin and more importantly paved the way for female actors.
The top and sides of the scarf are framed by heavy curtains and set the stage for the full cast of characters...wait... is that Pierrot playing the guitar?
True to his roots as an illustrator, Ledoux brings not just the play but all its characters to life.
Color is difficult to capture, a strong rich fuschia red
Matching authentic vintage Hermès suede gloves size 6.5 available but sold separately. Purchase together and save 20%*
- excellent vintage condition
- colors with great color saturation
- copyright "c" below Hermès - Paris
- hand rolled hem
- tiny pulled threads and faint folding lines
- made in France
- 100 % pure jacquard silk vintage soft
- approx. dimensions: 36 x 36 inches or 90 x 90 cm
- guaranteed authentic
- Hermès box (may show some signs of wear)
- layaway plans tailored to Your specific needs
- subject to prior sale
Read more about the artist, Philippe Ledoux and this scarf on our blog
* CANNOT be combined with any other offers